Sight First : Lions’ Vision For All
LCIF is a leader in providing support for preventing avoidable blindness and restoring sight for people around the world. Our sight programs range from developing and improving eye care systems to providing sight-restoring surgeries and treatments to distributing medications to those most at-risk for eye diseases.
Since its inception in 1990, the SightFirst program has played a key role in reducing blindness worldwide.
- Awarded 1,115 SightFirst grants in 102 countries for a total of more than US$275 million
- Restored sight to 7.67 million people through cataract surgeries
- Prevented serious vision loss for more than 30 million
- Provided over 153 million treatments for river blindness
- Built or expanded 615 eye hospitals/clinics/wards
- Trained 664,000 eye care specialists
- Conducted more than 19 million vision screenings for children through Sight for Kids
- Launched the world’s first-ever initiative to combat childhood blindness in partnership with the World Health Organization, establishing or strengthening 34 pediatric eye care centers
- Provided management training for 275 facilities
- Raised more than US$200 million for Campaign SightFirst II, making it the greatest fundraising effort in LCIF’s history